Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Free Range Kids

Monday, February 28, 2011

Tonight I had a Sunshine Corner Parent Committee meeting and we learned of a new book that is circulating Red Wing. It's called Free Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy. The author (a New Yorker) has been called the "worst mother on earth" for allowing her (I believe) 9 year old son to take the subway by himself. He had been doing it his whole life and one day asked his mom if he could do it alone. So she equipped him with what he needed, and let him do it, he survived. This sparked something in her, she made headlines, not in a positive way and has since gone on to write a book on how to raise safe/self reliant kids.

There are a few discussion groups around town I do believe. I am excited to read this book and then get together with other parents from Turner's preschool to get every one's view points.

Sure, I think sending your child on a subway is dangerous, would I do it? No way! But it's my lack of trust in other people not my own kids that worries me. I am not an overprotective parent in any way shape or form, but I don't know how I could forgive myself if my child was kidnapped, molested, or hurt in anyway because I thought they needed to be more independent. 9 is just a little young to be put alone on a subway in New York, but to each their own.

I do think as parents we are too paranoid about everything in the world. No wonder we are dying at earlier ages, think of all the stress we put on ourselves worrying about the little stuff, stuff that hasn't happened, and probably never will.

If you get to the book before I do, let me know what you think. I'm very curious and can't wait to read it.

2 comments:

  1. We were talking about this book at story time this morning. I really want to read it! The lady who does storytime is reading it and she said the author actually has a lot of good points and is not just a crazy lady who let her kid ride the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the book so I'm eager to start reading it! I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete